After a routine check at the surgery it was discovered that a batch of vaccinations had not been stored at the correct temperature.
We cannot be sure that vaccine stored at the incorrect temperature has given the patient the required protection against the condition for which they are being vaccinated, therefore, as a precaution we have written to all patients affected to invite them to be revaccinated.
We can confirm that all faulty refrigeration equipment and affected vaccine has now been replaced. Not every patient who has received a vaccination at the practice will be affected but all those who have will received a letter inviting them to book an appointment to be revaccinated.
Being revaccinated is completely safe, even if you have recently received the same vaccine.
We apologise for any inconvenient or distress that this may have caused.
Frequently asked Questions:
- Why am I being called in for another vaccination?
Vaccinations have to be stored at a specific temperature otherwise they may not be effective. It appears that the vaccine that you received may be ineffective because it was not stored at the correct temperature.
Receiving a vaccination which has been stored at the wrong temperature is not harmful; the best way to ensure that you are fully protected is to invite you to be revaccinated.
- Other members of my household have received vaccines at the practice, but they are not being recalled, why is that?
All records have been reviewed thoroughly, only those affected have been sent a letter. If you or anyone in your household has not been sent a letter you/ they can be assured that the vaccination they received was not affected.
- Could having another vaccination be dangerous?
No. It is safe to receive a second dose of a vaccination.
The risk of you becoming ill is extremely low and it is likely that you will have received some immunity from the vaccine you had.
- What is being done to stop this happening again?
We want to reassure you that once the issue was identified we took all necessary steps to address it. The old vaccine, which was stored at the incorrect temperature, has been replaced and new fridges and fridge temperature monitors have been purchased. Furthermore, as a precaution we have organised refresher training sessions for all staff with regards to the storage of vaccines. We want to ensure that this type of error does not happen at Prospect Surgery, Ossett Health Village in the future. We have worked with NHS England and Public Health England since identifying the error to support their investigations into this matter. Please therefore be assured that we have thoroughly reviewed and improved our practices.
We want to ensure that this type of error does not happen again at Prospect Surgery, Ossett Health Village. We have worked with NHS England and Public Health England since identifying the error to support their investigations into this matter. Please therefore be assured that we have thoroughly reviewed and improved on previous practices.